Tuesday, November 10, 2020

 Today I had to make a decision I have avoided for several months. I made the choice to send my kids back to in-person school. We've been home since the beginning of the school year trying to give the online school a go, but to be honest, it's been a total fail for my 13-year-old. He did well in the beginning, but it got boring and he started opening YouTube and watching videos while he had another tab open for school work. So it would show he was working on stuff, but never actually completed anything at all. He got in trouble with me and my husband, and raised his grades for the first 9 weeks, but has resumed his previous behavior again. SIGH. My 10-year-old has been doing mostly well for his first year in middle school, but still struggles a little with missing his schoolmates. It's not official, but I will call the school in the morning to see how we can make it happen. 

I don't want to do this, but the truth is I have failed them in this. I should be better at being a teacher for them, but I am not a teacher, I am a parent. We have kept them home because we thought we were protecting their health from Covid, and I still feel that we have. I'm terrified that we'll get a notice that they have been exposed and need to quarantine. Children always bring illness home to their families, and Covid 19 is not something we want here. Since school started we have received at least 6 emails stating that someone that had been at school tested positive for it, and today was no different. I can now expect to see them twice a week and pray that it does not increase. 

The state of Texas is now the state with the highest amounts of cases, and it increases every day. I am scared for our children, for everyone, but I will trust in God and the  Goddesses that all will be well in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment